Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday's Blast from the Past - 2nd Edition

Today's post was originally written just over a year ago, June 24, 2008. I thought it would be good for me to review it as it explains why I got "Back in the Saddle Again".

Well, I have done it again. I have joined Weight Watchers for the umpteenth time! The plan was to get into a healthier lifestyle once my summer break began and I didn't have the stresses of the job weighing me down. It took me a month off with nothing to do, but I finally got on track.
A few weeks ago, hubby and I decided to try the South Beach Diet. We even joined Sam's Club to stock up on nuts, veggies, sugar-free Jell-O, and meats. The diet lasted two days! The thought of eating so much meat with no fruits or good carbs was too much for me to handle for even the short two week induction phase. So, another week and then two passed by with our poor eating habits reigning supreme in our household. Do you know how good Papa Murphy's chocolate chip cookie dough is? I do! I was making hubby go down to Papa Murphy's every few days to pick me up some more of their cookie dough. He was pretty embarrassed buying only cookie dough in a pizza place, but he did it for me.
As we ate and ate, I began feeling more and more tired and frustrated. I could barely walk up and down the stairs in my house without feeling totally fatiqued and out of breath. I was at the point where I knew I needed to do something or I was soon going to be in a pretty bad place. My doctor has been suggesting that I seriously consider Lap Band surgery as a vehicle to lose the weight. I was desperate enough that I seriously thought about it. However, when I inquired with my insurance company about coverage, my decision was made. They would only cover $5,000 of the $22,000 it would cost to have the surgery. Well, I simply couldn't afford it. I think now that is a blessing in disguise as I really didn't want to have surgery. I had lost all this weight before, so I knew it could be done without medical intervention.
That brought me to last Friday when I found myself at the door of the local Weight Watchers. I signed up and paid for ten weeks in advance. I was weighed in (MY HIGHEST WEIGHT EVER! UGH!!!). I attended the meeting and then went home to prepare for this big undertaking. I got out several of my old Weight Watcher recipe books and I made a menu for the upcoming week. I made a grocery list. Hubby and I went to Sam's Club and Wal-Mart to buy the healthy foods needed to make my menu items. Then on Saturday morning, both hubby and I began the program. It is now day four and so far, so good. I am already feeling better and have more energy. I also have had zero cravings for which I am grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great thing to have a post from a year ago, detailing how you were feeling, and what you were doing. It's kind of like a journal isn't it?

    I hope you had a great weekend, and that your week will be successful in all areas of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to look back and see where we were...well I can see you have grabbed the bull by the horns and making those changes you promised yourself a year ago...well done to you...such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

I'm a lifetime yo-yo dieter who has spent most of my time on the up swing. On a few rare occasions I have been down in the weight game and it is then that I feel FANTASTIC. Just a few months ago I was in middle of one of those rare periods when all was going well and the pounds were coming
off. Then something went awry, and I started gaining it all back again. So here
I am starting over. Follow me on my journey to health and fitness.

Weight Loss Tracker